Live Web-Based Training Classes
Dialog invites you to experience training with our leading search and content specialists, straight from your desk, at a time convenient to you!
Tutorials and Training Seminar Workbooks
Dialog training workbooks cover basic and advanced search techniques, as well as specific applications for researching intellectual property topics. Click on the workbook title to read a description and to find information about downloading the free course workbook.
- Engineering Information and Techniques on Dialog PDF 897 KB, 62pp
Dialog At-a-Glance are on-demand, recorded, mini-presentations intended to quickly highlight useful product tips, commands, or content. Topics coming soon for
- Engineering and Technology Research
- Energy and Environmental Research
Web-based Online Courses are free, self-paced courses you can take online at your convenience. Designed for DialogWeb and Classic users, beginner to advanced, with versions designed for searchers in specific industries.
The How Do I...? Series supplies concise, step-by-step instructions on how to find the most-requested information on Dialog and includes
- 20 solutions for Engineering & Technology
- Dialog Bluesheets for Engineering & Technology, Energy & Environment, Biotechnology and Medical Devices
- Focus on Content
- Aerospace and Defense Information on Dialog PDF 104 KB, 2pp
- Biotechnology Information on Dialog PDF 83 KB, 2pp
- Environmental and "Green" Information on Dialog PDF 62 KB, 2pp
- Focus on...Computers, Electronics and Telecommunications PDF 75 KB, 2pp
- Focus on...Food, Agriculture and Nutrition PDF 80 KB, 2pp
- Focus on...Medical & Health Devices PDF 75 KB, 2pp
- Asking the Right Questions: Performing a Technical Search. An interview with Ron Rodrigues and Claire Locke
- Engineering Files Quick Comparison: Inspec® (File 2), Ei Compendex® (File 8) and NTIS: National Technical Information Service (File 6) PDF 136 KB, 2pp
Consult these handy Search Aids and User Guides to get the most out of searching individual files.
Engineering, Technology, Energy & Environment
- Engineering Files Quick Comparison: Inspec® (File 2), EiCompendex® (File 8) and NTIS: National Technical Information Service (File 6) PDF 136 KB, 2pp
- CSA Files Classification Codes
- File 2 — Chemical Indexing Fields in INSPEC (DIALOG File 2) this document discusses role indicators, items, and indexing levels, and includes a sample record and search tips.
- File 2 — Numerical Indexing Fields in INSPEC (DIALOG File 2) , discusses categories of numeric data, unit conversions, and searching by ranges or by relational operators.
- File 6 — "NTIS - National Technical Information Service" Report Number (RN=) and CAS® Registry Number (RN=)
- File 6 — "NTIS — National Technical Information Service" Section Headings (/SH, SH=) and Section Heading Codes (SC=)
- File 6 — Linking to NTIS Reports — how to retrieve a report in PDF format from NTIS (File 6) using the linking feature in DialogLink 5 and other Dialog Web-based products.
- File 8 — Classification Codes and Headings Used in Compendex, File 8.
- File 8 — Descriptors and Online Thesaurus in Compendex, File 8.
- File 23 — Searching CSA Technology Research Database (TRD) (File 23)
- Files 34, 434 — Cited Reference Searching in Files 34, 434, SciSearch®
- File 50, CABI — CABICODES Alphabetical List
- File 50, CABI — CABICODES® and Thesaurus in CAB ABSTRACTS (Dialog File 50)
- File 89 — GEOREF: Geographic Coordinates Fields
- File 144 — Multilingual Descriptors in Dialog File 144 "Pascal"
- File 144 — Multilingual Titles in Dialog File 144 "Pascal"
- File 323, RAPR — Using the Rapra Classification Code to Find the Most Relevant Information in RAPRA Polymer Library (Dialog File 323)
- File 323, RAPR — Searching RAPRA Polymer Library Using the Controlled Term Thesaurus
ONTAP (Online Training and Practice) Files
Use the ONTAP (ONline Training And Practice) databases for Free Practice Searching on Dialog and hone your skills without incurring an online charge.
Engineering & Technology
- ONTAP® Analytical Abstracts 
- ONTAP® DIALINDEX® 
- ONTAP® Ei Compendex® 
- ONTAP® Energy Science and Technology 
- ONTAP® Inspec 
- ONTAP® Food Science and Technology Abstracts 
- ONTAP® Gale Group Computer Database™ 
- ONTAP® NTIS - National Technical Information Service 
- ONTAP® SciSearch® — a Cited Reference Science Database 
- ONTAP® TULSA™ (Petroleum Abstracts) 
Remember: ONTAP databases are only portions of the complete databases. They contain records from a brief time period and may or may not be current. They are intended for practice use only.