Locate Defensive Publications?
TOPIC: A defensive publication, or defensive disclosure, is an intellectual property strategy used to prevent another party from obtaining a patent on a product, apparatus or method. The strategy consists in disclosing an enabling description and/or drawing of the product, apparatus or method so that it enters the public domain and becomes prior art. Therefore, the defensive publication of, perhaps otherwise patentable information, may work to defeat the novelty of a subsequent patent application.
You can search for Defensive Publicaitons in the following databases: CLAIMS®/U.S. Patents (File 340, 341, 942), U.S. Patents Fulltext (File 652, 654, PATFULL), Derwent World Patents Index® (File 351, 352 in Japan) and INPADOC/Family and Legal Status (File 345).
Note: To find all defensive publications in a database:
- In CLAIMS and U.S. Patents Fulltext, search Document Type (DT=) followed by DEFENSIVE (e.g., S DT=DEFENSIVE).
- In Derwent databases search the Patent Country prefix (PC=), enter the U.S. country code, a space, then the kind code H (e.g., S PC=US H).
- In INPADOC search the Patent Country prefix (PC=), enter the U.S. country code, a space, then the kind code I4, (e.g. S PC=US I4).
SELECT PN=US T101103
1. BEGIN one of the databases listed above, in this example File 654, U.S. Patents Fulltext.
2. SELECT the U.S. country code, a space, and the letter T, followed by a six-digit number.
Note: In INPADOC enter the U.S. country code, a space followed by a six-digit number.
File 654:US PAT.FULL. 1976-2007/NOV 22
(c) Format only 2007 Dialog
Set Items Description
--- ----- -----------
?S PN=US T101103
S1 1 PN=US T10110
3. TYPE S1 using Format 3 to see that it is a defensive publication.
DIALOG(R)File 654: US PAT.FULL.
(c) Format only 2007 Dialog. All rights reserved.
C/ Absorbed hydrazide nucleating agents and photographic
elements containing such agents; DEFENSIVE PUBLICATION
Inventor: Sidhu, Jasbir, 29 Harley Rd., Harrow, Middlesex, GB
Simons, Michael J., Kodak Works, Wealdstone, Harrow,
Middlesex, GB England
Mijovic, Miroslav V., Kodak Works, Wealdstone,
Harrow, Middlesex, GB England
EASTMAN KODAK CO (Code: 25784)
(Art Unit: 166)
Publication Application Filing
Number Kind Date Number Date
-------------- -- -------- -------------- --------
Main Patent US T101103 H 19811006 US 81238185 19810226
Division US 4278748 A US 7960549 19790725
Fulltext Word Count:
RELATED HOW DO I...? SOLUTIONS
Contact the Dialog Knowledge Center
Within North America +1 800 3 DIALOG (334 2564)
Outside North America 00 800 33 DIALOG (33 34 2564)
Web Form www.dialog.com/contacts/webform
You are viewing the
Click below to view the